Here are some facts that you may not have known about poo..
1. A person should poo every 1-2 days
We all have our own rhythms but any less frequently than that and we are talking about constipation.
2. Around 1 in 100 teenagers have a problem with constipation
There are about 1 in 100 teenagers that have a problem with constipation and soiling and sometimes there doesn’t seem to be a reason for it.
3. Constipation = Not pooing regularly
Being constipated means not pooing regularly and as a result the bowel gets overloaded and very uncomfortable.
4. Soiled underwear is a sign of constipation
This can be embarrassing and uncomfortable – and doesn’t do a lot for self-esteem.
5. Not pooing regularly = bad
Not having a poo regularly means that it gets hard and dry (like rabbit droppings) and breaks off or fresher poo leaks around this and causes soiling. If this goes on for a long time the bowel may stretch and it may take a while to shrink back to its usual size.
6. Constipation can lead to a lack of sensation
This might in turn mean a person doesn’t know when they need to poo.
7. Drink plenty of water and eat a high fibre diet
One way of helping combat constipation is to drink plenty of water and eat a high fibre diet – lots of fruit and vegetables, but if the problem carries in then it’s time to visit the GP.